Energy [OLD] - Aggressive/pushy sales tactics
Who is your issue with?
Resolver is free. No adverts, no hidden costs. Just raise a case and leave feedback after. Simple! We’ve helped millions of people find a resolution. Get started now and let’s get this sorted.
Know your rights
There’s no jargon in our rights guides. Instead, they’re full of the info you need to get things sorted. We’ll always be on hand with guidance and support to help you get the results you’re looking for.
Get your voice heard
You can be certain that you’re talking to the right person at the right time. We automatically connect you to contacts at thousands of household names, ombudsmen and regulators to find a resolution.
- Aggressive sales tactics are generally not allowed.
- Commission-based sales are banned and all sales have to be verified by a third party before you can be bound to a contract.
- If you suspect you've been treated unfairly and the company involved hasn't been able to offer a resolution, you can consider escalating the matter to the Ontario Energy Board or Ombudsman Toronto.
- There are additional rules in place to prevent doorstep selling in Ontario.
- You should never be sold a contract by an energy rep in your house.
- If an energy rep does visit you, they should always give you a business card and their ID.
- They should, however, never leave a contract with you or otherwise push you to sign a contract there and then.
- Energy retailers can't contact you at home over and over. This is harassment and is strictly forbidden.
Ontario Energy Board
The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) is an independent regulatory body that protects consumers in Ontario's energy market.
The OEB makes decisions and rules to make sure consumers are treated fairly.
If you're unable to find a resolution with your energy provider, you can consider escalating the matter to the OEB. They will work with the energy provider to find you the best possible outcome.
Ombudsman Toronto investigate complaints and concerns about unfairness for the City of Toronto. This includes Toronto Hydro.
Ombudsman Toronto are an independent and impartial organisation.
We have 1,264 pages of rights advice for you covering 286 companies and organisations across 6 public & private sectors. Feel free to browse companies for this specific issue - they're all listed below - but the quickest way to find the best rights for you is by using our unique Rights Finder to access our extensive database of advice.
Start by telling us the name of the company or organisation you have an issue with.