Please read this document carefully before using myresolver.ca, the Resolver app, or the Resolver email service.
We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Resolver is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information obtained by reason of your customer relationship with Resolver. Our policies and practices have been designed to comply with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA) and corresponding provincial privacy legislation.
2. Information we collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
The information you give us. When you register to use Resolver or submit a complaint using our service, you give us personal information and information about your case. You can do this via our website www.myresolver.ca, on the Resolver apps, or by communicating with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, our apps, other social media functions on our site, create a case, and when you get in touch with our customer service team, for example via the Help Centre.
The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address phone number, and information you provide as part of your case.
Information we collect about you. Each time you visit our site or use our apps we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
Information we receive from other sources.
We work with third parties (including sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services, and advertising networks) and may receive information about you from them.
3. Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
The information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to facilitate the resolution of your case;
- to provide you with information, products and services that you request from us;
- to send you our regular newsletter, other news, surveys and other important things from Resolver if you opt to receive this;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to help businesses to prioritise and manage cases;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or device;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- in working with analytics and search engine providers to improve our site;
Information we receive from other sources. We may combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We may use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
4. How long we keep your data for
We keep your personal information in line with our data retention policy and will only retain it for as long as is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it and to comply with applicable laws.
The cookies we use may last for a single visit to our site (they are deleted from your computer when you close your browser) or may remain on your computer until you delete them or until a defined period of time has passed.
- to allow essential parts of our web site to operate for you;
- to collect information about how you use our site; and
- to close your session and log you out of your account upon the expiry of a certain amount of time of inactivity.
a. Google Analytics
We may use the following Google Analytics features:
- Remarketing with Google Analytics
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- DoubleClick Platform integrations
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting
You may opt-out of the Google Analytics features we use, including through Ads Settings, Ad Settings for mobile apps, or via the browser extension provided by Google Analytics' currently available opt-outs.
Hotjar assists us in providing you with a better experience and service as well as in diagnosing technical problems and analysing user trends. This helps us to improve Resolver by making it more user-friendly, and simpler to use.
You may opt-out from having Hotjar collect your information when visiting using Resolver at any time by visiting their Opt-out page and clicking ‘Disable Hotjar’ or enabling Do Not Track (DNT) in your browser.
6. Disclosure of your information
We may share your personal information with any of our affiliates.
We will disclose the information you provide (including personal information), to the company/organisation that will deal with your complaint. We may also pass this information to the associated regulator/ombudsman.
The company/organisation that will deal with your complaint may need to verify your identity. This could include using information from a credit reference agency, which may involve credit reference agencies checking the details supplied against any particulars on any database (public or otherwise) to which they have access. These searches should not affect your credit rating or ability to obtain future credit and are generally automatically removed after 12 months. Resolver does not have any control over any identity verification process that a provider may choose to use.
In some situations a company/organisation may offer services that are managed by another organisation. In these situations we will send the case to the company/organisation most appropriate to manage your case.
By submitting personal information on our site, you consent to us using aggregated anonymised data to monitor the effectiveness of specific companies’ complaints resolution processes.
Other websites: Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
7. Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers provided by Amazon Web Services (AWS) within the European Economic Area (EEA). Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for your account, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
8. International Transfers
From time to time and for operational reasons data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside of the EEA.
We use Intetics, a web development company that is headquartered in the USA and has offices in the UK, Germany, Ukraine, and Belarus. You can read more about them here https://intetics.com/privacy-statement.
We use a number of data processors that are based in the USA who are all subscribers to the EU - US Privacy Shield programme (To learn more about the Privacy Shield, please see http://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome). These include:
Twillio provides our telephone recording services;
- Zendesk provides our customer services platform;
- Mailchimp and Mandrill provides our bulk email systems;
- HotJar provide a website analytics service;
9. Your Data, Your Rights
We only use your personal information for direct marketing purposes if we are allowed to do so by law or if we have your consent. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may withdraw consent at any time by logging into your online Resolver account or by writing to us via our Help Centre.
Requests to access, change, or remove your information will be handled within 30 days.
Right of Access to your information: if you require access to the personal data we hold about you then please write to us via our Help Centre.
Right to Rectify your information: If you believe that the information we hold about you is incorrect then please either log into your account and change your personal data directly, or write to us via our Help Centre.
Right to Erase your information: If you do not want Resolver to hold your personal data any longer then please write to us via our Help Centre.
Right to Restriction of Processing: If you believe that your personal data is inaccurate, or that Resolver is processing your personal data unlawfully and you do not want your personal data erased and you wish to restrict the processing of your personal data, then please write to us via our Help Centre.
Right to Object: If you believe that there are no legitimate grounds for processing your data or that you no longer wish to receive marketing communications, then please write to us via our Help Centre.
10. Children’s Privacy
The Resolver site is not intended for use by children, especially those under 13. For that reason, we do not knowingly collect or maintain data from those under 13, and no part of our website is targeted at anyone under 13.
11. Anti-Spam Legislation
Resolver complies with anti-spam legislation enacted in Canada and internationally. Only those who have given consent, have an existing relationship with Resolver, or have published their email address will receive our electronic mailings. You will have the option to unsubscribe to our electronic mailings and communications at no cost to you.
If you wish to complain to Resolver then please write to us via our Help Centre.